Our coral reefs support more species than any other marine environment. Countless numbers of animals rely on coral reefs for survival. Many of the world’s reefs have already been destroyed or severely damaged by a range of human activities: pollution, unsustainable fishing practices, and global climate change. However, if we act now we can still protect and preserve our remaining reefs for future generations.
How can I help my reef?
- When snorkeling or diving, don’t touch the coral or drag you equipment through the sand. Dragging your equipment through the sand causes sediment stir up.
- Don’t buy or take coral for souvenirs.
- Use energy efficient appliances to help eliminate green house gases.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!!!
- Volunteer for beach clean ups and join your local environmental conservation groups.